Circuit-Est is a choreographic center that supports and stimulates research, creation, development and renewal of creative dance artists in all its diversity.
It implements collaborative projects aimed at the development and promotion of dance as well as activities to raise awareness of this art form among the general public to raise awareness of this art form among the general public.
Circuit-Est is one of the essential poles for the development of dance and is committed to contributing to its effervescence by and inclusive links between the members of this community. Constantly attentive to its social environment, it acts diligently to propose new opportunities.
• Openness and commitment to the discipline
• Spirit of sharing embodied through exchanges and lasting collaborations
• High standards of service quality, demonstrating sensitivity to the needs of the community
• A spirit of solidarity and a search for collective well-being
• Flexible and cordial management
In 1987, Louise Bédard, Sylvain Émard, Francine Gagné, Lucie Grégoire, Carole Ip, Rodrigue Jean, Jocelyne Sarrazin, Richard Simas, Lee Anne Smith et Tedi Tafel created Circuit-Est centre chorégraphique and adapted two large studios which were to be devoted entirely to contemporary dance and choreographic creation [espace Saint-André].
Ten years later, with the operating support of the three arts funding councils of Montréal, Québec and Canada, Circuit-Est finally managed to get a permanent team. This was a boost for the organization's operations and development capabilities and the expansion of the choreographic centre became a need.
In February 2007, Québec's Ministère de la Culture et des Communications awarded the édifice Jean-Pierre-Perreault to Circuit-Est, providing an opportunity to deal more effectively with the needs of dance creators. With this building, the administrations of six of its members could be housed under one roof as of January 2008; this would allow for an accelerated exchange of knowledge, expertise, and experience among them.
The Anglican Church of Saint-Thomas, built in 1907 and closed in 1949, was used for a few years by a theatre company, Les Compagnons de Saint-Laurent, till it was reverted to its religious vocation in 1953. The Fondation Jean-Pierre Perreault purchased the church in the mid-1990s and transformed it into a choreographic space.
The Foundation was forced to close the choreographic centre in November 2004. The building remained unoccupied until Circuit-Est moved in January 2008. It now houses the Jeanne-Renaud and Peter-Boneham studios, the organization’s administrative offices and the administrations of five of its members.